Saturday Trophy final 23

SATURDAY TROPHY Final - Match report

John Moody
Played at Havant and Waterlooville FC on 1st April 2023

Full Time: Colden Common 2 - 1 Yateley United

Both finalists were aiming for a league and cup double this season, the Hampshire Premier League in Colden Common's case and the Thames Valley Premier League in Yateley United's. Yateley had won all of their 16 league matches and were currently on a run of 26 undefeated, including cup ties which probably made them favourites to win the Saturday Trophy. 

Yateley started strongly and as early as the second minute, Myles White cut in and smashed the ball just over the Colden's bar. Colden, however hit back through Joe Ryan who lifted the ball over the 'keeper but also just over the bar.

As the battle stepped up a level, Yateley hit the Colden bar when Dan Gosling headed in a cross and Common replied with a shot from James Barnes which was well saved by 'keeper George Currey and scrambled away.

At the other end, Yateley's Gosling forced 'keeper Jon Webb into a fabulous save from point-blank range and then they had a free kick header hit the back of the net via the post but the goal was disallowed for offside.

The breakthrough nearly came in the 25th minute when a long ball from Yateley caught Colden on the hop and the 'keeper and a defender got in each other's way which resulted in a penalty as an attacker tried to take the ball. Wilcox shot the spot kick straight down the middle and Webb saved with his legs.

Colden's course now looked to scored when he was free in the box and foxed the keeper, which sent him the wrong way but his shot bounced off the post! 

On the half hour the important first goal was recorded when Yateley's Elliot Mitchell hit a powerful shot into the net.

Colden did not stay behind long. In the 39th minute Aaron Blaxall ghosted into the box and slipped the ball passed the on-coming 'keeper.

The second half quite understandably was not so frantic as legs began to tire, but in the 66th minute the cup winning goal came . Colden were awarded a free kick which went over everyone in the crowded box to the unnoticed Course who hit it first time over the line.

The last 24 minutes saw both sides still going for it - Colden's defence was put under great pressure, but valiantly they stood firm whilst Yateley threw everything at them.

A superb and sporting final, a credit to both the County and Leagues.


Match Officials:

Referee: Darren Cooley

Assistants Referee: Peter Carr

Assistant Referee: Paul Turner

Fourth Official: Cameron Davis


Colden's Mike Douglas was awarded the Player of the Match


The squads: 

Colden Common – Jon Webb, Dan Sayers, Harry Davies, Laurie Dwyer, Glen Freeman, Carl Steadman, Cameron Ross, Ollie Riddell, Mike Douglas, Dave Egerton, Paulo Mendes, Aaron Blaxall, James Barnes, Darren Street, Luke Turner, Ben White, Liam Hiscock, Ben Rankin, Joe Ryan, Leon Course and Liam Higgins.

Yateley United – George Currey, Dan Gosling, Charlie Westell, Elliot Mitchell, Pay Leahy, Myles White, Josh Hennah, Conor Fitzmaurice, Spencer Wynn, Liam Whyte, Rory Fitzmaurice, Callum Scott, Brad Bolton, Charlie Wilcox, Josh Mynard, Harry Wilcox, Stanley Staines, James King, Rhys Kirkby-Cox, Aubrey Chisholm, Warren Clark and Toby Goodship.