HFA Stock

Hampshire FA U12's Saturday Cup Final

John Moody
Basingstoke Town Colts 2 - Gosport Falcons 2 (Gosport win 5-4 on penalties)

The cup final proved to be a close affair with a dynamic start and a stunning end leading to a penalty shootout.


Gosport struck first and early in the 3rd minute when Owen Withey outpaced the Basingstoke defence to convert a long ball into a goal giving the 'keeper Max Holman no chance with his powerful shot. He increased the lead in the 17th minute with a great individual goal weaving his way into the box and slamming home his shot.


Basingstoke fought back and Thomas Woodward put in a penetrating run but 'keeper Oscar Glover came out of his penalty area to thwart him but instead fouled him and then made a fabulous from Woodward's free kick. Woodward came close a few minutes later when he lobbed the 'keeper but was ruled offside.


Basingstoke were back in the game early in the second half when Charlie McCauley popped up in a goalmouth melle to score from close range.


At the other end, Gosport's Joshua Wallin put a free kick just over the bar and Cooper Wood had a near miss as they pushed Basingstoke back.


Gradually, Basingstoke achieved a degree of dominance and George Sharp forced the 'keeper into a good save. Joseph Owiti put a shot just over the bar and then in the next move his shot hit the bar but with time running out, it looked like Gosport's cup. Right at the death, however, Thomas Woodward found himself free in the box to equalise. The Referee allowed the subsequent kick off and then immediately blew his whistle for full time, thus, triggering a penalty shoot-out to decide the destination of the cup.


At this stage of the day extremely heavy rain had set in and a very tired set of players lined up in the centre circle for their penalty ordeal. Both 'keepers were on top form and the five named penalties resulted in a 3-3 draw. 'Sudden death' then applied with each penalty taker a volunteer and at 5-4 to Gosport up stepped the Basingstoke's keeper to equalise but unfortunately for him he blazed over the bar. The referee stopped Gosport's cup winning celebrations as he consulted his officials and after an agonising few seconds for both sides ruled that the last penalty stood.


The Referee was Adam L'Anson and his Assistants were Arthur Strachan and Yusuf Casim and the Fourth Official was Tim Spargo who handled a difficult situation and torrential rain well.


The match was sponsored by Savvy Accountancy Solutions and the Player of the Match Award went to Gosport's Oscar Glover.


The squads: 

Basingstoke Town Colts: Max Holman, Joseph Betteridge, Daniel Oyewole, Shay Kemp, George Sharp, Lewis Ottley, Evan Freeman, Quinn Hannigan, Andrew Ojo, Charlie McCauley, Jospeh Owiti, Thomas Woodward and Ben Torkington.


Gosport Falcons: Oscar Glover, Kris Hristakev, Reggie Phillips, Dan Tookey, Jake Hamer, Connor Zotsch, Josh Wallin, Owen Withey, Jevaughn Chambers, Laurie Williams, Harry Bailey, Fred Frampton, Ewan Cooke, Cooper Wood, Finlay Jehu and Milo Keating.