Corporate Social Responsibility
Driving change for the benefit of all
Used Coffee Grounds Reused as Fertiliser
Used coffee grounds from the coffee machines at Stoneham Lane Football Complex is now stored in containers at the site and reused as fertiliser for the grass pitches. The coffee grounds are rich in nutrients for the soil and include nitrogen, as well as small amounts of potassium, phosphorus and other micronutrients. A cost-effective and environmentally-friendly method that reduces our waste year on year.
Best CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY SCHEME OR INITIATIVE
Hampshire FA achieved Bronze for the Best Corporate Social Responsibility Scheme or Initiative at the 2022 Football Business Awards, making it the first ever county FA to achieve an award at the national awards ceremony. The award was achieved from the partnership established with the Havant & East Hants Mind charity.
Food distribution services
Thanks to our partners at Peter Cooper Motor Group, we have been able to transport and distribute food packages to families requiring such a service. Additionally, with the help of the van, we were also able to transport food supplies to serve local churches and food banks.
Our CSR team supports 3x food distribution services per year with the next two arranged in December.
If you or someone you know requires a food package, please reach out to our team.
Alternatively, visit the Hampshire County Council 'Food and Essentials' page here.
Hampshire FA CSR DEVELOPMENTS
A CSR snapshot of everything we're doing..
- External Recycling Bins are in place at all Hampshire FA facilities.
- Automatic Motion lights have been installed at all Hampshire FA facilities.
- LED Floodlights have been installed at Front Lawn and Winklebury which reduces carbon footprint/energy use by 50-60% compared to Metal Halide. Stoneham are currently working with Eastleigh Borough Council and other funders to change all floodlights at Stoneham to LED.
- Bettavend supply recyclable cups for coffee machines at Stoneham Lane Football Complex.
- Discounts available for members if they purchase a hot drink with their reusable flask/cup.
- Stoneham are currently working with Eastleigh Borough Council and other funders to get a borehole installed to support water irrigation to grass pitches, this will reduce/minus out mains water use.
- We have introduced water fountains (Eden) for staff use to minimise drinking water bottles, and to encourage staff to bring in their own water canisters to drink from.
- Winklebury currently has solar panels to support energy requirements at the facility
- Facilities are moving towards electric grounds kit. Stoneham and Winklebury currently use battery leaf blowers, and will soon be moving to battery strimmers, this will progress to bigger kit/machinery in time, allowing us to reduce our carbon foot print and use of fuels such as diesel and unleaded petrol.
- Football Boot Bins have been installed across all sites to allow participants to take a free pair, reuse or exchange footwear for their sessions and training
- Winklebury Football Complex sponsored by Topodium Group are currently trialling a paperless QR maintenance log system for checks. This will be rolled out to all facilities if the pilot is successful.
- Cycle to Work Scheme offered to all staff as company perks.
- Facility staff have attended 'Kick Plastic Out Of Sport' sessions to increase awareness around reducing plastic use at the facilities, and believe a photo shoot with a collection of plastic bottles used over a weekend in one big pile would give out a statement that something needs to be done, will work on when and how to do this.
- Partnership established with Award Winning Product Social Enterprise Hey Girls providing reusable period products across all sites for staff and the Hampshire FA Academy.
- 2x CSR Days offered to staff (2020 Tree) allowing staff to take two days off in the year to support charity, community or other voluntary causes in line with the CSR strategy.
- Refugee football sessions hosted and delivered at Winklebury Football Complex in partnership with Care4Calais charity. 22+ participants attend monthly football sessions, with free footwear given, food and water for the participants.
Our official Line Marking Partners at Fleet Line Markers make all of their paints using solar power at their factory in Malvern. Paints are also stored in reusable containers and/or boxes and refilled when required. Fleet Line Markers are members of GRASS, the grounds resources and sustainability solutions group, emphasising their commitment to the environment.
All tea and syrups are Fairtrade across all of Hampshire FA's facilities. The new self-serve vending machine at Stoneham Lane Football Complex has recyclable cups instead of disposable cups. Additionally, the coffee supplied is ethically sourced and is the award-winning Caffe Praego (Corporate Social Responsibility award winners 2021). All coffee supplied by our partners and suppliers at Bettavend has the Rainforest Alliance certification.
All three facilities supply Fairtrade juice.
Partnership with RAF Odiham established to support 'Taking Football to Africa and Beyond' charity appeal.
Families supported with free turn up and play football sessions and food care packages (Southampton).
NEW corporate social responsibility strategy launched in 2023 to support the association's work and vision.