AFC Porchester

Hampshire FA Russell Cotes Final Match Report

Hampshire Football Association Russell Cotes Cup final played at Wicor Recreation Ground on 7th May 2014.
AFC Portchester 2 Fareham Town 0

An ugly brawl marred the Hampshire Football Association's prestigious charity cup final on Wednesday evening when Referee Tony Foster held the game up for nearly five minutes late in the second half to consult his Assistants and Reserve Official before issuing three red cards, dismissing Joe Noakes and Joe Bye from Portchester and Robbie Pitman from Fareham.

Up until this flash point the game seemed to be running to an incident free conclusion. A cold wind and the tactics of both teams to use the long high ball in the first half did nothing to enhance the match and chances were few and far between two evenly matched sides.

Portchester were the first to show when Simon Woods chased a long ball only to foul a defender in the box giving Fareham the free kick. It was Woods again in the 9th minute who started a move which resulted in a cut back to Joe Bye whose speculative shot appeared to 'bobble' deceiving the Fareham 'keeper Luke Douglas for the opening goal of the match.

Woods continued to cause Fareham problems with his speed on the flanks and eventually won the Man of the Match Award.

Fareham had a couple of chances to equalise, the best coming from a free kick taken by Wayne Boud which the 'keeper, Jon Webb failed to hold at the first attempt but luckily for him the ball popped back into his arms.

Boud also created the second opportunity when he beat the full back to put in the perfect cross but there were no Fareham forwards to snap up the chance.

As the half ended Woods put a header just wide for Portchester and Fareham's Boud had another free kick headed for a corner.

Fareham started the second period on the attack when Webb failed to connect with a long throw and a Fareham player went to ground in the resultant melee with calls for a penalty but the referee played on.

Portchester in effect 'killed off' the game in the 65th minute when Woods put in a run and cross to set Louie Castles free and he netted with a fine angled shot.

After the unfortunate brawl both sides made substitutions but to no real effect and the nine men of Portchester held out against the 10 men of Fareham to clinch the cup.

The Referee, Tony Foster, handled a difficult local derby cup final well and was supported by his Assistants Peter Carr and Steve Topazio. The Reserve Official was James Taylor.

The match was sponsored by Harold Walker Solicitors and JD Fives sponsored the match ball.

AFC Portchester: Jon Webb, Luke Hutchings, Simon Stone, Craig Hardy, Josh Madison, Joe Noakes, Gary Moody, Louie Castles, Jake Thomson, Danny Thompson, Joe Bye, Nathan Lynch, Jamie Musselwhite, Simon Woods and Martin Pottage.

Fareham Town: Luke Douglas, Sam Bunton, Ian Humble, Mat Jones, Kieron Lewis, Nick Tayler, Lee Tigwell, Louie Martin, Robbie Pitman, Wayne Boud, Mark Cotton, Mark Wheeler, Graham Lindsey, Ashley Tattersall and Josh Wilson