The funding has enabled the Southampton City Council to work in partnership with Hampshire FA to employ a Get Into Football Officer and in November 2010, Hampshire FA appointed Sophie Davis as the Get into Football Officer. Southampton is one of 33 local authority areas within England where a Get into Football programme has been set-up in order to increase participation in football for over 16’s.
Key areas of the game the Get into Football programme aims to develop are:
- Youth male and female U16-18
- Adult male and female (18+)
- Veterans football
- Small sided football
- Flexible football
- Develop the infrastructure around the teams to create new provision and retain existing activity
- Develop non affiliated football and increase the quality
- Increase regularity of play
- Create new teams where there are gaps in provision
- Manage the transition of youth football into adult football
Since November 2010 Sophie has set up a number of participation projects for all abilities. These include informal turn up and play sessions, 11-a-side football competitions and small-sided games.
The programme has already established 2 brand new affiliated 11-a-side Football Leagues, they are The Hampshire College 11’s League and The Southampton Health Kicks Midweek Floodlit League.
Get into football whatever your level. Jumpers for goalposts in the park or the FA Cup Final at Wembley? Love the game, YOU fit in somewhere!
To keep up to date with new and current projects, become a ‘fan’ of this exciting programme by visiting the Get into Football Facebook Page and Twitter Page or email Sophie, to be added to her distribution list.
Contact details for the Get Into Football Officer
Sophie Davis - Mobile: 07983577646 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org